The Romanos Resort :
There’s more to Greece than white-washed islands and sunny beaches.
Recently attention has turned away from the islands and back to the mainland for cuisine, culture, and luxurious accommodation. Costa Navarino premiered in 2010 on a sunset-facing stretch of coastline in the southwest Peloponnese. Here the Romanos, a Luxury Collection Resort, offers low-rise stone villas with infinity pools stretching towards the Ionian Sea.
Off the Beaten Path
The 321 rooms and suites – including the magnificent Royal Villa Koroni and the Presidential Villa – are off the beaten path in Greece. Located about 3 hours from Athens or 40 minutes from nearby Kalamata airport, this region resembles Tuscany 50 years ago with its tall cypress trees and unspoiled landscape.
Set against the backdrop of a peaceful olive grove, the Romanos offers an elegant getaway in a natural setting. Travelers seeking discretion will be drawn towards the Presidential Villa, a sumptuous two-story villa complete with private beach access, a seductive infinity pool, an al fresco dining area, and 24-hour butler service.
When I toured the villa, I immediately thought this was the perfect intimate place to gather with friends for a sunset glass of wine around the firepit. The Romanos opens for the season in April, tempting travelers with serene outdoor showers and indulgent bathtubs.
Throughout Europe there are many wonderful villas – so what sets the Romanos apart? Here there is a distinct Greek stamp. All art adorning the villa walls is the unique creation of up and coming Greek photographers and artists. When you book a villa at Costa Navarino, you will receive an introduction to Greek culture by everything that surrounds you.
In addition, Costa Navarino is seriously dedicated to eco-awareness and preserving the stunning landscape. The building footprint will be only 10% of the total area, leaving 90% reserved for that signature Messinian landscape. In addition to preserving the environment, groundbreaking energy initiatives demonstrate Costa Navarino’s green philosophy. All of this adds up to one thing for travelers: guilt free luxury travel.
What to do in Costa Navarino
Costa Navarino is beautiful and eco-conscious – but what do you do there? This coastal destination in Greece is packed with activities. There’s an 18-hole golf course, the Dunes Course, that offers sea views in addition to a challenging round. There are two tennis courts and pros are available to help work on your swing. The serene Anazoe Spa is home to indulgent treatments, herbal saunas, and an ice-grotto room.
Travelers interested in the local heritage can engage in the Messinian Authenticity Program. These activities connect guests to local traditions. During my visit to Costa Navarino, I participated in the annual harvest. Being a part of the process – from hand picking the olives to seeing how olive oil is made at the mill – sheds new light on the simple, humble product. Olive oil tastings will help guests to discern what it is about Greek olive oil that is so special.
Dining at Costa Navarino
Everything about Costa Navarino delivers a sense of place – including the food. A wealth of fresh, organic ingredients form the foundation of authentic, upscale Greek cooking. The resort has its own vegetable garden and grows countless varieties of herbs. These ingredients combine in dishes that are unmistakably Greek – and healthy too. During my visit I happily nibbled on Greek salad with sfela cheese, local tomatoes, and cucumber. Some of the best dishes are the most simple, such as lamb chops marinated in rosemary and garlic.
With all of these incredible local ingredients, it should come as no surprise that Costa Navarino has launched its own product line. If you want to taste these products without leaving home, the Navarino Icons products are available through Dean and Deluca. I quickly became addicted to the olive oil biscuits: a one-bite fragrant cookie made with local olive oil and cinnamon.
Romance at Costa Navarino
Part of the charm of Costa Navarino is the resort’s ability to make guests wishes a reality. The resort is surrounded by incredibly beautiful olive groves. Instead of just looking at them – why not plan a picnic? During my visit I enjoyed a picnic under the shade of an olive tree. We cracked open a bottle of cold white wine, nibbled on local cheeses and traditional spinach pie, spanakopita. While Costa Navarino delivers all the luxuries that seasoned travelers have come to expect, they also deliver simple pleasures like this one, an afternoon picnic that sums up the Greek way of life.
Phone: +30 272 309 6000